Chicago Cooking Classes December 2011
Indulge: 5 Holiday Classes For Foodies and Drinkers (Punch Bowls, Apps, Sweets, and More!)
From Thanksgiving to New Year's, food is a major focus: sweet treats, apps galore, and, of course, the libations. If you're planning on being the hostess with the mostess any time soon, then learn a few tricks of the trade at one of these upcoming classes.
- Eat, Drink, and Be Merry is the name of the class taking place at the Chopping Block (Merchandise Mart Plaza, Ste. 107 , 312-644-6360) on Saturday, Dec. 3, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Perfect for the gal ready to host a dinner party, you'll learn how to make sausage and herbed cheese stuffed mushrooms, sautéed beef tenderloin, broccoli and cauliflower gratin, and pumpkin donuts with cinnamon sugar for dessert. The cost is $85 per person, which includes two glasses of wine or beer.
- Pastry chef and cookbook author Sarah Levy is as sweet as the treats she makes in her shop, Sarah's Pastries & Candies (70 E. Oak St., 312-664-6223; Macy's, 111 N. State St., 312-781-3004). See (and taste) for yourself at Mariano's Fresh Market (333 E. Benton Pl., 312-228-1349) on Wednesday, Dec. 7, at 6 p.m., when she'll demonstrate how to make three sinful holiday desserts: apricot coconut macaroons, chocolate cupcakes with cocoa fudge frosting, and decadent chocolate almond toffee. There's no cost to attend and there's free wine to boot.
- Forget holiday shopping. Blow off a weekend afternoon learning how to make a jubilant punch bowl at Cooking Fools (1916 W. North Ave., 773-276-5565) on Sunday, Dec. 11, from 3 to 5:30 p.m. Resident mixologist Angie Jackson and mixologist Lynn House (chief mixologist for Blackbird) will teach you how to make seasonally inspired ice molds and three old-school punches — one of which dates back to 1848! And to keep you from getting tipsy, appetizers will be provided by the chefs at Cooking Fools.
- Shaken or stirred, who doesn't love a good martini? Give the ol' 007 a festive makeover at Chen's (3506 N. Clark St., 773-549-9100) holiday martini class on Tuesday, Dec. 13, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. While noshing on a bevy of hors d'oeuvres, you'll learn how to make five adult beverages including the Christmas martini, the rising suntini, the pomegranatini, the mint chocolate martini, and a "students' choice" martini, which leaves room for creativity — or trial and error. The class is only $20, which is reimbursed to you in the form of a Chen's gift certificate for a future visit (sushi anyone?).
- Speaking of our affinity for maki, SushiSamba Rio (504 N. Wells St., 312-595-2300) is hosting a sushi and sake class ($75 per person) also on Tuesday, Dec. 13, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Who knows? Maybe the flights of sake you'll drink will help you out when you're learning to roll sushi. In addition, you'll pick up some sake food pairing tips while tasting nibbly bites of tempura, edamame, and sashimi.