Chicago Events This Week
This Week's Must-Do List: Good Eats, Fun Tastings, and a Grandiose Gala
There are plenty of temptations to derail your bikini diet this week — wine, beer, and tequila, oh my!
- It's a little too early for barbecue season — and all this rain certainly isn't helping. Take the American pastime indoors at State and Lake (201 N. State St., 312-239-9400) this Wednesday, April 27. The hip resto in TheWit hotel is offering an evening of burgers and brew from 5 to 7 p.m as a part of its new Brewmasters Series of events. This week, 10 bucks buys you a Leinenkugel's Classic Amber plus a juicy, charred beef burger topped with pork belly, Wisconsin cheddar, caramelized onions, and stone-ground mustard on a potato bun with a side of onion rings.
- If vino is more your speed, head down the block to Quartino (626 N. State St., 312-698-5000) for its monthly Wine Bash event from 7 to 9 p.m., also taking place on Wednesday. The sipping soiree will feature an array of wines from Italy with a focus on Sicilian wines and bites (think Quartino’s signature pizza, Italian meats, cheeses, and more) for $20 per person. Resos not required and registration starts at 6:30 p.m.
- It's Thursday, which means it's time once again to gather the girls and head over to The Underground (56 W. Illinois St., 312-644-7600) for another installment in the oh-so-fashionable Style Series, presented by Rockit Ranch Productions. This week, you'll see fashions on the runway from Bonnie & Clyde's boutique in Wicker Park. Can't make it? Not to worry, as the series continues next week with more of the latest Spring fashions from yet another great Chi-town boutique (here's a hint: you'll want to bring your man!) The fashion show begins at 11 p.m., but doors open at 9 p.m. for those of you who want to get a little cocktailing and conversation in beforehand.
- The Mag Mile may not be Spain's La Rambla, but there's a restaurant on the strip that will make you feel like you're there. Also taking place on Thursday, April 28, a tequila and tapas dinner at Mercat a la Planxa (638 S. Michigan Ave., 312-765-0524), starting with a reception at 6 p.m. The five-course feast ($75 per person) will be paired with Ocho tequila cocktails. One tequila, two tequila . . .
- While you won't need to tie up your ballet slippers, you'll probably want to sport a hot pair of heels at the Joffrey Ballet's annual Spring gala, taking place Friday, April 29, at the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University (50 E. Congress Pkwy, 800-982-2787) You may want to leave work a bit early that day because the black-tie bash begins with a 5:30 p.m. cocktail hour, followed by Joffrey Ballet’s first ever live auction (a luxe trip to Thailand and Bhutan anyone?) and a sample performance showcasing selections from the season. Guests will then be transported via shuttle to the Historic Palmer House (17 E. Monroe St., 312-726-7500) for drinks, dinner, and dancing in the hotel's beautiful State, Grand, and Red Lacquer rooms. Tickets are $600 each and can be purchased by calling 312-386-8921.
Source: State and Lake