Chicago's Best Burgers at Epic Burger, DMK Burger Bar, Burger Bar, Kuma's Corner, M Burger
Pop 5: Chicago's Best Gourmet Burgers
With the Chicago Gourmet Hamburger Hop coming up on Sept. 23 and grilling weather winding down, I have burgers on the brain, which makes this the perfect time for our Pop 5 burger list, filled with gourmet versions that would taste even better paired with one of last week's Pop 5 craft beers. Bring on the city's best beef on a bun!
- At Epic Burger (517 S. State St., 312-913-1373; 1000 W. North Ave., 312-440-9700), the beef is all natural and cooked to order, buns are freshly baked, and ingredients (including toppings like Wisconsin cheese and fried eggs) come straight from Mother Nature. The result is a tasty burger (shown above) that feels like it was made with love.
- DMK Burger Bar's (2954 N. Sheffield Ave., 773-360-8686) loft-like space is minimal, but its menu is anything but. Choose from nine inventive grass-fed beef options, five nonbeef burgers, and six kinds of fries (Parmesan with truffle cream, sweet potato with lemon-Tabasco aioli).
- M Burger (161 E. Huron St., 312-254-8500; 5 W. Ontario St., 312-428-3548) makes ordering easy. The menu only has seven items: a hamburger, a cheeseburger, the M Burger (with bacon, cheese, and secret sauce), a veggie burger, a chicken sandwich, fries, and a salad. But the lack of options doesn't equal an underwhelming experience: the M Burger will become your new favorite fast-food item.
- There's a reason people wait for hours for a table at Kuma's Corner (2900 W. Belmont Ave.), and it's not the heavy metal. The burgers, named after metal bands, are overwhelmingly delicious. The standard Kuma's burger comes with bacon, cheddar, and a fried egg, and things get crazier from there. Case in point: the Megadeth, with chorizo and red potato hash, pico de gallo, cayenne-avocado cream, and tortilla strips.
- Burger Bar (1578 N. Clybourn Ave., 312-255-0055) features a carefully curated craft beer list and out-of-this-world creative burgers. The Hey Shortay comes topped with short ribs and fennel slaw; the En Fuego features guacamole and jalapeño; and you'll also find veggie, chicken, and seafood options. My choice is the Burgh with american cheese, fries, coleslaw, and pickles and the truffle fries.
Source: Epic Burger