Eco-Friendly Beauty in Chicago
Pop 5: Best Eco-Beauty Destinations
Welcome back to our newest PopSugar City feature, the Pop 5. Each week, we'll ask you about your favorite spots in the city — to get great sushi, catch some live music, get a facial . . . basically the places you pick to do anything and everything in Chicago. Last week, in honor of Earth Month, we told you about the five best eco-chic shops from clothing boutiques and beyond. Continuing with our green theme, this week I've compiled your picks for the best eco-beauty destos in the city — now that's beautiful!
- There are big chains, and then there's Karen Marie Salon (1859 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-227-4003). After 15 years working as a colorist for the corporate machine, Karen decided to take her dedication toward living a green lifestyle and open up shop on her own. The space itself (a reclaimed loft) is designed with refurbished and recycled materials while the products are nothing but eco-friendly (think Aveda, Kevin Murphy, Pure Hair Extensions). Nothing goes to waste here — not even hair clippings, which the salon donated to charity after recent video makeovers. Stop by the salon for its Earth Day party on April 22 at 6 p.m.
- Good things come in small packages at Green Envee Organics (520 N. Michigan Ave., 708-698-0688), a little kiosk inside the Shops at Northbridge filled with Earth-friendly, all-natural prods. As if the array of Mother Nature-approved bath and body care wasn't enough, Green Envee donates all of its soap scraps to Clean the World and a percentage of sales to Children and Nature.
- A lot of you shop at Whole Foods (multiple locations), so it's no surprise that its health and beauty department is one of our picks. You'll have to look hard to find a paraben listed in any of its products; they won't even carry anything but the most natural brands for your face, hair, and bod, including Avalon Organics, Jason, Alba Botanicals, Burt's Bees, and more. Give Whole Foods 365 branded products a try, too. I was impressed by the lavender blend body lotion.
- Essential oils are like nature's gift, and the Aroma Workshop (2050 N. Halsted St., 773-871-1985) is Chicago's gift to natural skin and body care. Choose from single essential oils, premade aromatherapy blends, or your own custom blend created on site. All oils can be mixed into unscented body care products that the shop carries, too. Aroma Workshop also boasts its own facial care line brimming with botanical infusions safe for even the most sensitive faces. And as an alternative (or precursor) to a girls' night out, host a "scent event" (see pic) where you can all mix and blend your own signature concoctions.
- Sabon (Block 37, 108 N. State St., 312-357-1234; 1152-54 N. State St., 312-981-1234) may have roots in Israel, but the the two locations in the Gold Coast have Chicagoans running in for its all-natural bath, body, and skin care products made with Dead Sea salts, herbs, botanicals, and natural oils. And in support of green efforts, many of Sabon's paper products (including its new eco-recycled shopping bag) are made from recyclable material, and you can bring back your empty glass bottles and jars to the stores to be recycled.
Keep an eye out for the next list in our series!