Eco-Friendly Shopping in Chicago
5 Best Eco-Chic Shops in Chicago
Welcome back to our newest PopSugar City feature. Each week, we'll ask you about your favorite spots in the city — to get great sushi, catch some live music, get a facial . . . basically the places you pick to do anything and everything in Chicago. This week, in honor of Earth Month, the five best eco-chic shops from clothing boutiques and beyond.
- Connect (1330 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-360-1520) carries a variety of brands (Patagonia, Icebreaker, FIN, Kate Organics, and Alley Collection to name a few), but what really put this Wicker Park boutique on the map is the fact that it picked up the Nau collection after the much-loved Chicago flagship store shut its doors, leaving many guys and gals longing for Nau's bags, trench coats, down jackets, and fleece. Other highlights include the Connect organics line (a philanthropic label that donates a portion of sales to the community) and Nonetheless, Connect's men's line, which is designed and made in Chicago. Check out the Bivalent dress from Horny Toad ($78, pictured).
- Cerato Boutique (3451 N. Southport Ave., 773-248-8604) is no doubt a favorite, because it supports Chicago's very own up-and-coming designers — including those with an eco focus such as Frei, Alidade, and Lara Miller. All of these designers are sold in the store or in the Earth Month pop-up shop at GlobalFashionBrands.com. Think organic fabrics, natural dyes, and recycled notions that represent sustainability without sacrificing style.
- Colori (2243 W. North Ave., 773-252-4923) is the green proverbial coat of many colors. A part of the Chicago Sustainable Business Alliance, this Wicker Park paint shop boasts a large selection of low- and no-VOC paints within the shop's signature paint line, C2's LoVo. Other cool services are the fun and informative workshops on creating various eco-friendly spaces (as pictured) within your home and the paint bar where you can chill with a glass of vino — or coffee — while your paint's mixed.
- Be By Baby (1654 W. Roscoe, 773-404-2229) was created by friends/new moms/yoga buddies Courtney and Kathy with the intent of being a one-stop shop with a purpose. Being vegan — and raising their kids vegan — every item in the store is vegan (meaning none of them include any animal products or are not harmful to animals), and you'll find a variety of eco-friendly products including asthma- and allergy-free stuffed animals, organic cotton sleepers, Earth Mama bath and body products, Ergo Baby organic backpack carriers, cloth diapers, and much more.
- Green Home Chicago Design Center (213 N. Morgan St., 312-432-9400) in Fulton Market has an in-house design staff — including LEED-accredited designers — to help you navigate this lofty design center filled with a variety of eco-chic interior design goods (flooring, cabinetry, lighting, furniture, art, and more) for your commercial or home living space. Not sure where to begin? Check out one of the roomscapes for a divine source of inspiration on how you can make your entire home a "green house" of a different nature.
Keep an eye out for the next list in our series!