Oscar Parties in Chicago at Rockit, Lux Bar, and More
Where to Watch the Awards: 5 Oscar Bashes
The Oscars are on Sunday, and, even though it's the biggest night in Hollywood, I'd say a Chicago party is definitely in order. Luckily, lots of spots around town agree and are hosting all kinds of bashes, ranging from the super swank to the simple. Pick your Academy Awards pleasure, and get ready for a fun night of food, fashion, stars, and cocktails. I personally can't wait to see what hosts James Franco and Anne Hathaway come up with.
- Gene Siskel Film Center's Oscar Night America (164 N. State St., 312-846-2072): The only local event sanctioned by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences goes from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m.. The party includes a glam red carpet hosted by local glam gal Amanda Puck, a delicious dinner from Petterino's, a live telecast of the awards in the Film Center's two state-of-the-art movie theaters, and a raffle. Tickets are $100 and must be purchased in advance by calling the Center or emailing email@example.com.
- The Oscar Party with Richard Roeper at Rockit Bar & Grill (22 W. Hubbard St., 312-645-6000): The Chicago Sun-Times film critic hosts the event starting at 6 p.m. Watch the show while enjoying Rockit's delicious food (I highly recommend the Southwestern chopped salad and the truffle fries), along with Oscar-themed cocktails. Don't forget to join in on the Oscar pool.
- Oscar viewing party at Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery (1 W. Grand Ave., 312-755-9339): Starting at 7 p.m., watch the award show on one of Rock Bottom's 25 flatscreen TVs while chowing on themed dishes and drinks like Social Network Nachos, True Grit-ini, The King's Cocktail, and Winter's Bone Brew. The winner of the Oscars ballot contest will receive a dinner for two at Rock Bottom, while the first two runners up will get free growlers of beer. Show up early to snag your table for the free event.
- JDRF Red Carpet Party at Lux Bar (18 E. Bellevue Pl., 312-642-3400): Watch the Oscars for a good cause. From 6 to 10:30 p.m., NBC's Marcus Riley and Ginger Zee host a viewing party benefiting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Bid on upscale items while you dine on sliders, empanadas, and Crumbs Bake Shop cupcakes and drink Stella Artois and Hennessy cocktails. Tickets are $65 in advance and $80 at the door, and a portion of the proceeds benefit JDRF.
- On the Red Carpet Oscar Party at the Center on Halsted (3656 N. Halsted St., 773-472-6469): The city's center for the LGBT community hosts an Academy Awards galas starting at 6 p.m. Attire is "fun and fabulous," and guests can join in on a Predict-the-Winner contest (ballots are $10 each) and a silent auction. Items include trips to Miami, New York, and San Francisco, theater and performance packages, hotel stays, autographed Blackhawks and Cubs paraphernalia, and more. Tickets are $75-$125.