Week of December 13 Events in Chicago
Fresh 5: This Week's Must-Do List
This week, drink like it's 1939, get some great deals at two much-loved shops, and see a comedy legend.
- Tonight, Dec. 13, at 6 p.m., The Whistler (2421 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-227-3530, shown above) hosts its first official cocktail party. Head bartender Paul McGee recreates 30 cocktails from Charles H. Baker Jr.‘s Jigger, Beaker & Glass. Charles H. Baker Jr., a yachtsman and drinking buddy to Hemingway and Faulkner, wrote a two-volume culinary and cocktail guide to document his world travels devoted to finding the best cuisine and cocktails available in the 1930s. This cocktail party is the first in a new monthly series at The Whistler.
- On Tuesday, Dec. 14, J. Crew (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-751-2739) hosts a personal shopping event from 5 to 7 p.m. Shop the holiday collection (I'm coveting the Soleil necklace and the Merino Necklace sweater) and receive an exclusive gift with a purchase of $150 or more.
- On Wednesday, Dec. 15, from 6 to 8 p.m., stylists Julie Watson and Annie Barlow will be at Club Monaco (900 N. Michigan Ave., 312-787-8757) providing expert gift-giving advice, something those of us who haven't even started our holiday shopping could really use. Even better: everything at the store is 20 percent off. RSVP to the event by emailing email@example.com.
- Feeling brave? On Wednesday, Dec. 15, Movies in the Park at Pritzker Park (State and Van Buren) features the classic A Christmas Story. The free show starts at 5:30 p.m. I recommend many, many layers and a flask.
- Need a good laugh? On Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 17 and18, the legendary Jerry Seinfeld comes to The Chicago Theatre for four big stand-up shows. Tickets are $48 to $78, and each night will feature a 7 and a 9:30 p.m. show.
Source: Whistler Chicago